Calls for volunteers will be posted on this page. If there are no positions listed, please follow our Twitter account (@khoreomag) or sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to hear about our next call for applicants!
We are currently looking only for volunteers; however, we aim to begin paying our volunteers at least token amounts by Year 3. More updates as the magazine evolves.
We are looking for a fiction to:
- Read incoming fiction submissions
- Work with the fiction team to select 5 short stories per issue
- Edit selected submissions
- Work closely with our audio, marketing, and first reader teams
- Cover letter describing your interest in khōréō, your experience as a reader/editor, and your editing philosophy
- Links to three short stories (none written by you) that you would’ve loved to buy if they’d been submitted to khōréō, including commentary on why you chose them and what editorial suggestions you’d make if they crossed your desk
Weekly commitments vary based on publication schedule, with 10-20h/week being typical during submission periods and ~5h/week during the remaining time. We publish issues once a quarter, with upcoming reading periods in April, July, and October 2022 for issues in September 2022, December 2022, and March 2023. We keep meetings to a minimum, but do require synchronous contact to determine issue contents 2-3 weekends per quarter.
Please note: this is a leadership position at the magazine. As such, we are primarily interested in individuals who identify as immigrants or members of a diaspora for this position. We especially encourage BIPOC to apply.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.