We are currently open to general submissions for our roster!
Who are we?
khōréō is a quarterly magazine of speculative fiction. We are dedicated to diversity and elevating the voices of immigrant and diaspora authors. Our stories include fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and any genre in between or around it.
Who are you?
We are looking for narrators to add to our roster of voices for the audio versions of short stories published in our magazine. We especially encourage applicants who identify as immigrant/diaspora voice actors (defined in the broadest sense of the term; more details here) and we are committed to matching stories and actors who resonate with the identity of the pieces they are voicing. We are especially interested in hearing from voice actors from underrepresented communities.
No experience is necessary, but please list any relevant experiences or attach a CV. This doesn’t have to be voice work specifically; any storytelling, theatre, or similar experience is useful to flag. We are looking for people who are confident in their ability to record reasonable audio, with a dedicated USB or XLR podcasting mic and the ability to find a quiet, soundproofed space to record. We’re very happy to accommodate and assist with this during recording. We will be listening for the quality of recordings in each audition tape, but we aren’t expecting studio-quality equipment.
These projects are paid at industry-standard rates for audiobook narration ($250 PFH*). Payment will depend on the final length of the piece and is calculated at the end of production.
All single-narrator stories, regardless of word count, pay a minimum of $30. Tiered minimum rates based on higher word counts are as follows:
|Word Count||Minimum Payment|
|> 2,000 words||$55|
|> 3,000 words||$83|
|> 4,000 words||$111|
For full-cast recordings, actors for major characters are paid a minimum of $15; actors for minor characters are paid a minimum of $5.
* khōréō does all clean-up, editing and mastering in-house, so voice actors are asked to submit raw recordings only
- Include your name and pronouns at the beginning of the audition tape.
- For targeted calls, record the lines corresponding to the role you’re auditioning for (up to two takes per line).
- For general calls, choose any story from a pro-rate speculative fiction market (i.e. a science fiction/fantasy/horror magazine or anthology that pays authors professional rates) and record an extract between 1-5 minutes in length.
How to apply
- Fill out this Google Form HERE.
- For your audio file, include a link in the above form or email [email protected].
- You may also include a CV in your email in lieu of noting your experience in the form; please let us know to expect it.
We are keen to open this casting call to voice actors with access needs. Please email us at [email protected] and CC [email protected] if there is any way we can accommodate your application, or if you have questions or concerns.
Audition deadlines are listed in the casting document for each issue, linked above.
For calls for specific backgrounds, submissions will be considered on a rolling basis until we find the right person unless otherwise specified, so the sooner you submit, the better.
Keep an eye on khōréō’s social media to hear about open calls in the future!